Posted August 05, 2010 by admin

Artpool,Budapest, Hungary
Artpool Art Research Center
Budapest VI, Liszt Ferenc ter 10., first floor
postal address: 1277 Budapest 23, Pf/Box 52, Hungary
tel.: (+36-1) 268-01-14
fax: (+36-1) 121-08-33

Collection: In 1979, György Galántai and Júlia Klaniczay established Artpool at a time when art forms out of keeping with the official cultural policy were denied access to the public. Artpool's aim was to provide contemporary Hungarian artists with information and potential contacts on the international art scene, as well as to publicize and document the activities of Hungarian artists out of favor with those who dictated the cultural policy of the time. Collecting what documents were extant on the alternative art of the '60s, '70s and '80s, Artpool set up an archive which, they hoped, would provide future generations with ammunition and inspiration when it came to moral stands and artistic struggles of their own. In the ten years of its "illegal" existence, the archive accumulated several rare collections of international significance. The Artpool Art Research Center has been operating with funding from the Budapest Municipal Council since 1992

The unique collection of sources available to the public at Artpool Art Research Center covers 300 meters of shelving. The archive and library house primarily documents relating to the Hungarian avant-garde art movements of the `70s and `80s, as well as sources on the new international art trends of the past 30 years. Holdings include: correspondence, notes, plans, ideas, interviews, writings, works of art, photo documents, catalogs, invitation cards, bibliographies, chronologies, diagrams, video and sound documents, CD-Roms, etc. Artpool covers: Fluxus, performance, sound poetry, visual poetry, artists' bookwork, mail art, artists' stamps, artists' postcards, artists' periodicals, copy art, computer art, video art.
The Hungarian "non-authorized" art of the `60s, `70s, and `80s (including alternative art scenes and groups, contemporary music, underground art magazines, the work of Miklós Erdély, etc.).
Documentation of life-works related to Artpool's special topics: Miklós Erdély, György Galántai, Ray Johnson, Ben Vautier, G.A.Cavellini, Monty Cantsin, ASA, etc. The archive is augmented by the Library and the Collections which have material related to the special topics.

Ludwigmuseum, Museum of Contemporary Art, Budapest
Palace of the Arts
Komor Marcell u.1
Budapest, H-1095
tel.: (36-1) 375-9175
fax: (36-1) 212-2534

Opening hours:
Tuesday and Thursday: 11.00 a.m.–6.00 p.m.
Friday: 11.00 a.m.–5.00 p.m.
tel.: +36 1 555 3487

Ludwig Museum – Museum Of Contemporary Art is the only museum of contemporary art in Hungary to collect international art. The museum was founded by the Hungarian cultural government in 1989. The collection was established with 70 pieces of contemporary art donated by Irene and Peter Ludwig. This gift was completed with 91 pieces in 1991 as permanent loans. The first independent exhibition of the new museum was also opened in 1991 in Building 'A' of the Royal Palace. In 1996 the institution became the Museum of Contemporary Art, and saw an extensive growth in the Hungarian section of the collection.

Since 15 March 2005 the Ludwig Museum has been based in a new building under fully updated technological circumstances. On three storeys the museum has a 3300 square meters exhibition space. On 1300 square meters on the first floor the temporary exhibitions, while on the upper two storeys the collection is going to be presented. On the third floor a selection of the collection from the end of the collection from the end of the 1960s to the early 1990s is displayed. The series of pictures is opened by three significant late Picasso paintings. The selection contains valuable pieces of American Pop Art, i.e. the works of Andy Warhol, Roy Lichtenstein, Claes Oldenburg and Jasper Johns; and significant works of hyperrealism, i.e. Chuck Close, Malcolm Morley, and Richard Estes. The artworks by Ilona Keserü, László Lakner, Krisztián Frey and György Jovánovics representing Eastern-European avant-garde from the 1960s and 70s, the geometric, minimalist works of the seventies (Imre Bak) and the international New Painting of the eighties (A. R. Penck, Georg Baselitz, Markus Lüpertz and László Fehér, Ákos Birkás and others) will show parallel with the Western tendencies. Works of Fluxus, Conceptual Art and Action Art are displayed through the works of Joseph Beuys, Arnulf Rainer, Miklós Erdély and Tibor Hajas.
In addition, unofficial Eastern-European art before the changing of the political system is represented by the works of Soviet Non-Conformist artist (Tatiana Nazarenko, Yuri Leiderman).

Since 2005 a free, public reference-library has been operating on the second floor of the Ludwig Museum’s new building. The library’s main subject area is Hungarian and international art after 1945, with special emphasis on the art of the East-Central European region. The majority of the collection consists of Hungarian and foreign exhibition catalogues and monographs.

In addition to these, there are theoretical works (on photo, film, video, architecture, design, etc.), catalogues of important international biennials and conference documents. The most important Hungarian and foreign periodicals can be read in the periodical collection of the library. Two online terminals are also available in the reading room. Readers interested in contemporary art are welcome.
Online Catalogue (work in progress)

Open Society Archives
1051 Budapest
Arany J. U. 32 2.
tel: (36 1) 327-3250
fax: (36 1) 327-3260

Mostly documentation of human rights and politics in Eastern Europe post 1945, but may have some art related materials. While actively collecting, preserving, and making openly accessible documents related to recent history and human rights, the archive continues to experiment with new ways to contextualize primary sources, developing innovative tools to explore, represent, or bridge traditional archival collections in a digital environment.
From the outset OSA Archivum has been and remains an "archive of copies", interested more in the content than in the materiality of the documents themselves. The traditional archival holdings comprise approximately 7,000 linear meters of records. Based on their provenance as well as their focus, OSA Archivum holdings are divided into three main groups: Communism, the Cold War, and their Afterlife, Human Rights and Soros Foundations Network and the Central European University.

Updated 9/2009